Friday 23 October 2015

Undertale Mini Review


I saw this game getting a little bit of buzz over the last couple weeks so I decided to check it out since from what I'd heard, it was a very good and unique game. The game started off good right from the start, thinking I was in for a bit of a dark and twisted RPG game but quickly took a turn for the.. better? I think my overall disappointment was in the fact that the game just didn't turn out like I was expecting, being much more cheerful and a lot less dark. The character humor started off fine as well but by halfway through the game I was kind of sick of all the humor and awkwardness they seemed to bring and by the time I met the robot and Lisa Simpson dinosaur, I couldn't mash the 'A' button fast enough. I'd say these were my only gripes with the game though. I really enjoyed the battle-system as it was nothing I'd seen or played before so it was fresh and had a nice variety to it and also rewarded people for their abilities in the mini-game. Tied in with the battle-system is the way of playing the game differently with the lethal and non-lethal playthrough which is also nice. I also liked the bit of a twist of you being the bad guy in a way, something else I can't recall experiencing in a game before. The fact that I actually felt guilty for some of my actions in this game was impressive and does make me want to go through the game again with a cleaner playthrough. Aside from the unique gameplay aspects I will also applaud the soundtrack for being really nice and sets a good atmosphere for the game.

Overall it was a good game but felt a little underwhelming to all the hype I had been hearing about it, but I do think there is great potential. With a unique and fun battle-system, character choices, great soundtrack and interesting story, I think the creator could make an amazing game (possible sequel) with some more polished character writing and graphics.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment